This week I went to my first small group meeting with a young adult community from the church I have recently started to attend. The past semester the Lord has definitely been teaching me contentment and how to have a non-judgemental attitude when it comes to church searching. I have learned that I need to have an open heart and an open mind when it comes to the preaching and worship while still keeping up with my personal beliefs and standards. So this is what I have done, and the Lord has really taught me things through this whole process. One of the things that He taught me is that there are other good preachers out there who love the Lord and who do their best to serve Him. Yes, not everyone is perfect, but the Lord has called each of us to love, serve, and share with others and to see that in someone is refreshing.

Now back to the small group... I had received this email from the small group leader...
"My name is ---------- and I'm a small group leader at the church. I heard you wanted some info on a singles community group so I  thought I'd let you know about the one I lead.
We meet on Monday nights. We've had a couple of weeks break for Christmas and New Years but we're getting ready to start back up tomorrow night. On a weekly basis we have about 12-15 come and there's about 20 of us total. We're around early 20s - early 30s, and this semester we're going to be studying different characteristics of Jesus and applying them to our lives. We also like to do community service projects together.
Basically I think all of us are just looking for people our age to live life with and hang out with. If you haven't found a community group yet, I hope you (and your friend Jena) will feel comfortable enough  to check ours out. We try to make each week unique so if you have to miss then  you won't feel like you've missed anything."

I was so thrilled! I just had a feeling that I needed to try this group out. Well I tried it out and thoroughly enjoyed it and am sure I will visit again. This semester they are learning about the different characteristics of Jesus and how we can apply them to our lives. Each week we are provided devos to do on our own personal time and then come back to the small group and collaborate our answers. So here are some of my thoughts on Day 1 devotions.... (below is the actual part of devo provided by the leader)

Redeeming the Time
How do you spend your time?

Day 1:
                                -Who do you know that spends their time wisely?
I have had to sit and ponder this question for awhile. I could say lots of different people. I have had teachers in my life who knew just exactly how to handle the one hour we had to cover six chapters and then I have also known people who have a TO DO list and nothing will get in there way until they accomplish it for that day. But I have also seen very laid back people who somehow get everything done with the time that is provided (I am not one of these laid back people). 
- How do you see Christ spending His time? What do you think a typical day was for him?
I see Christ being the perfect essence of time well spent. It is as if He woke up each day and accomplished all that the Lord had for Him to accomplish for that day. It truly amazes me from all the miracles He performed to all the time He spent alone with God how he managed everything so perfectly.
-A New Year, a new agenda – do you have a “resolution” that involves how you spend your time?
I do not really have "Resolutions". However, I do have a few goals in mind that involves spending my time. One of those goals is to pass my NCLEX. With that, I have to have a schedule written out of what exactly I need to read each week so that I can successfully accomplish what I set out for.  
- Do you spend your days trying to accomplish a to-do list within a particular time frame?
You know... I would have to say I do. I love lists.... so much so that one year my best friend gave me a book all about Lists for my birthday. However, I do not let the list consume my every waking moment where if I do not accomplish the list I panic. I do love my lists though and the thought of marking something off brings such accomplishment. So, I try to be reasonable with them... if you know what I mean. 
-Do you feel like you are fitting into God’s plan?
                              I think this is a continuous thing I strive for. I want nothing more than to continuously fall into God's plan.  
                              What are your longings? What are your abilities? Are you serving God now?
                              One thing I long to do in the future is continue mentoring young adults. I have done this in the past before nursing school got so crazy. I know that where I am at right now is where I am suppose to be and I thank God for teaching me contentment through this stage in life.  


I want you to write out everything you did today (or yesterday if it’s morning).

This last question I challenge to you just like I am challenged to do so as well! 

Hope you were blessed and challenged with these thoughtful questions as I was. May you be blessed the remainder of this week and let GOD lead! 


This entry was posted on 8:28 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Great post Mal! definitely something I need to think about too...

  1. ... on January 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM  
  2. Anonymous said...

    Great post Mal! definitely something I need to think about too...

  3. ... on January 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM